Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Annual Fine Arts Festival

The West School held its annual fine arts festival on April 12. It is an exhibit of art as well as performances by the band and chorus. It is a HUGE task to gather, mount, type up names and statements, hang, arrange, etc. all the art. Fortunately, my school system understands this and gives me a sub for two days to hang the show. I still need to figure out a better way to do it all next year.
On to the show...
The artwork was incredible. I knew that the quality of the work was high but I had no idea how amazing it truly was until it was in the exhibit. I am so proud of my students. They did such wonderful work and they have the best ideas. I have never seen students so excited about their art. They knew exactly what they put in the art show and couldn't wait to see it.
At night the parents came and saw the show and there was a great turn out. There were lots of positive comments and one parent said it was "the most original art show I have ever seen."
The best part for me was seeing the kids' excitement as they showed their parents their art.
I set up an artist letter box (like at the Arnheim) to give parents/students an opportunity to write letters to the artists. The students loved doing this and asked if we could do it during their art time so of course I had to say yes!

No comments: